Subject: Re: more Quadra 840AV woes
To: Gregory S. Nesbitt <gsn5262@osfmail.isc.rit.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/29/1997 15:42:08
On Thu, 29 May 1997, Gregory S. Nesbitt wrote:
> I'm making an attempt to get 1.2.1 to boot on my Quadra 840AV with 16MB of
> RAM.  I'm using Booter 1.9.5 and the straight 1.2.1 kernel.
>
> The system switches to console video and reports the following:
>
> [ preserving 94139 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
> bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k
> Faked range to byte 0x1000000.
> Bootstrapping the pmap system.
> Pmap bootstrapped.
> Moving ROMbase from 0x40800000 to 0x987000.
> Video address 0x50100800 -> 0xb87800.
>
> And then lockup.  I've disabled extensions and also tried setting the
> system to 1-bit video.  No go.

Another gentleman was having the exact same problem on his 840av; clearing
the PRAM fixed it (Command-Option-R-P while booting, I think). I have no
idea _why_ that makes it work though...

> P.S. What is that raw BUZZ noise that the box emits as its switching to
> console video?  Is it supposed to do that? :I

Hmm... I've got a 660av, and it doesn't make any noises at all. I'm
running a NetBSD-current kernel, although I don't remember ever hearing
any noises.

BTW, I don't know if my kernels actually have any advantage over the
standard kernels now, but if you'd like, you can get it from
http://www.realtime.net/~khym/netbsd/

It might be worth a try if you can't get dt or X working (i.e. if the
kernel doesn't see any grf devices). As far as I know, my kernel only
works on the 660av and 840av.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++