Subject: Installer fails 'make devices'
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/21/1997 22:42:44
I'm trying to set up a Jaz drive on my C610 ('LC040) and am not having
luck getting devices made.  I have made attempts installing all packages,
base and etc only, and on a freshly formatted filesystem.  I have used
Installers 1.4e, 1.1 and 1.0.  All attempts have the same failure at the
same point:

Making device ./dev/ttyp0 (4/0).
Making device ./dev/ptyp0 (5/0).
mode = 044150, inum = 12161, fs = /
ialloc: dup alloc

(In all cases except this last, with 1.0 and empty filesystem, it failed
one line earlier at ttyp0.)

I have successfully made devices on a regular hard drive connected to this
machine, so I have a feeling it has to do with the Jaz drive.  I have turned
off the verify after write and eject on close options on this cartridge.
One other variable is that I'm currently running System 8.0beta, but I don't
see how that would affect it.

I _have_ managed a successful boot on the cartridge, if I cpout fstab.sd and
cpin it as fstab (the Jaz is first on the SCSI chain), but fsck didn't like
the 'LC040 -- time to go dig the full '040 out of storage (I don't normally
run with it because it doesn't like my floppy for some reason)...

In other news, I am valiantly trying to get a distribution built on the
Mac II, but am running into a few small problems.  The last kernel I built
paniced with a FPU fault when I started dt.  I'm going to clean out the
kernel directories and try again to see if it persists.  Also, in gdb
(gdb/bfd/trad-core.c:43) and libkvm (libkvm/kvm.c:49) I get an error:

In file included from /usr/include/machine/pmap.h:80
                 from /usr/include/vm/pmap.h:87
                 from /usr/include/vm/vm.h:69
                 from /usr/include/sys/user.h:52
                 from   [files noted above] :
/usr/include/machine/cpu.h:89: warning: 'struct proc' declared inside parameter
list (and goes on to warn about limited scope)...

I've sup -o'd and made includes a couple of times since this occurred (as
well as make cleandir/make depend in the affected directories)...

Anybody have ideas?

~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com      http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

Reporter (to Mahatma Gandhi): Mr Gandhi, what do you think of
	Western Civilization?
Gandhi: I think it would be a good idea.