Subject: Re: Beginner questions
To: Jesse Swensen <jrs@pagesz.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/16/1997 13:52:56
On Fri, 16 May 1997, Jesse Swensen wrote:

> >Are you running MkLinux on the 7600?  Just curious.
>
> I have been, but with no serial support and the 7600 being a source of
> income, it has only been for fun.  I wanted to use the SE/30 for an

Try linux-pmac.  Easy to install into an existing DR2.1 system and you get
serial support as an added bonus....  :-)

> internet gateway for the 2-3 other machines on my little network.  There is
> a port in progress for a 68k version of linux.  I would like that.  There
> seems to be a lot more information about linux.

You'd be surprised.  There's a lot left to be documented about linux....
Where NetBSD, you just pick up a copy of Nemeth, Seebass, et al... Unix
System Administration... the red book.  Network config seems to be
somewhere between bsdi and solaris.  For hostname.ae0, try

inet myhostname 0xff000000 10.0.0.n

or tweak the netmask as desired (technically, I think 10.'s should be
class A, and thus have a netmask of 0xff000000). re

> Internet:
> Destination		Gateway		Flags	...	Interface
> 10.0.0.3		127.0.0.1	UGHS		lo0 =>
> 10.0.0.3		link#1		UC		ae0
> 10.0.0.255		link#1		UHL		ae0
> 127.0.0.1		127.0.0.1	UH		lo0

gateway link#1??  Your box is 10.0.0.3, right?  You should add a default
route to everything else on ae0.  Something like

route add default 10.0.0.3

with maybe a "-interface ae0" in there somewhere.

and maybe ditch the route from 10.0.0.3 to localhost.  That should be
implied as long as the interface is up (which it appears to be).

Hope that helps,
David