Subject: Re: passwd - what to do?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/29/1997 00:25:40
Does anyone know how to fix this? I've tried most of the suggestions
mentioned so far, but nothing's worked yet. I've run into a snag trying
to "add a new user", ie myself, to the new netBSD 1.2D/mac68k (4/7/97
current & GENERICSB27) system i've loaded on a Q700 macintosh.

order of events thus far

booting ...multiuser mode
...automatic boot in progress: ...
automatic file system check failed; help!
sh
vt220
mount
root_device on / type ffs (local, read-only)
mount -u /
/dev/sd2a: file system not clean; please fsck(8)
fsck  (y to all questions)
pwd
/root
cd /
mount
/dev/sd2a on / type ffs (local)
cd etc
rm passwd pwd.db spwd.db ptmp
vi group   (wheel:*:0:root,brian)
	:w
	:q
vipw      (brian:**:1000:0::0:0:brian wildasinn:/home/brian:/bin/sh)
	:w
	:q
mkdir /home/brian  /usr/home/brian
ln -s /usr/home /home
chown -R brian /home/brian
chown:brian: illegal user name
passwd brian
passwd: unknown user brian

Well ...as you can see i won't be able to configure the system until
this little ditty is resolved. By the way, i down loaded netBSD's
adduser and adduser.sh programs which stop at just this same "illegal
and unknown" user ...me.

Sincerely,

Brian Wildasinn
bwildasi@csulb.edu