Subject: Re: Serial Console
To: Vivian Bessler <vivb@netsoc.ucd.ie>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/28/1997 09:13:02

> Hi,
> I'm trying to boot my Lc 475 with a serial console.  The console is a Mac
> Plus and I need some help.
> What console program could I use (could I use Zterm for example?) ?  What
> do I need to change on the netbsd volume (rumor has it you need to change
> /etc/ttys so that /dev/ttye0 is the main console ?) and what options do I
> need selected in the booter serial port preferences.
> Also how far should netbsd get in the boot process without base installed?

As someone else mentioned, you need to change the ttye0 line
to "off", and switch the tty01 (printer) line to "on".

W/o base installed, netbsd will get right to where it would ask about
shells and then die. Install base.

Just set the checkbox for serial console in the booter, and choose which
port you're using. Make sure that choice agrees with what you did in
/etc/ttys and with the wires.

Take care,

Bill