Subject: Re: your mail (ethernet question)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Michel Chalufour <michelc@tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/25/1997 12:39:37
Okay, here's more info on my setup, answering Bill Studenmund.

>> Sorry my description was so vague, I just was hoping someone might know the
>> 3Com card   and could say whether there's a chance it can work with NetBSD.
>> In Mac OS the 2 computers can share files and launch applications, so the
>> ethernet hardware and connections (thin wire 10Base-2) for the two-computer
>> network appear to be working in that environment. When both computers are
>> booted in NetBSD I can communicate between the two via serial wire and
>> pppd, with ping, ftp, telnet working nornally (albeit slowly), but when I
>> try  the same over the ethernet wire there seems to be no communication and
>> I get the following message from ping:
>>
>> centris# ping macii
>> PING macii.mynet (10.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
>> Apr 24 11:58:05 centris /netbsd: ae0: device timeout
>> Apr 24 11:58:05 centris /netbsd: ae0: device timeout
>> ping: sendto failed: Host is down
>> ping: sendto failed: Host is down
>> ^C
>> ----macii.mynet PING Statistics----
>> 14 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
>>
>> Is there a faq or other information that someone could point me to that
>> would help in the configuration of the kernel, /etc/rc.conf and/or other
>> /etc files that ethernet requires?
>
>[snip]
>
>> If the 3Com card does work in the IIci as the Ethernet Status List
>> indicates, is there any reason it won't work in my Mac-II and my Centris
>> 650.
>
>Hmm. What do the boot messages for each machine show is going on?
>You can find them in /kern/msgbuf (if you have /kern mounted).

Boot message from the Mac-II (named "macii"):

D 1.2D (GENERIC) #29: Sun Apr 20 11:56:35 CDT 1997
    scottr@spot:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
Apple Macintosh II  (68020)
real mem = 8388608
avail mem = 5079040
using 128 buffers containing 524288 bytes of memory
mrg: 'Mac II class ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly.

[snipped some here]

nubus0 at mainbus0
ae0 at nubus0: address 02:60:8c:06:d5:01, type EtherNet card, 32KB memory
macvid0 at nubus0: RasterOps ColorBoard 364
macvid0: Unknown video card ID 0x26f -- Not installing interrupt routine.
macvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome

Boot message from the Centris 650 (named "centris"):

NetBSD 1.2D (GENERIC) #29: Sun Apr 20 11:56:35 CDT 1997
    scottr@spot:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
Apple Macintosh Centris 650  (68040)
real mem = 41943040
avail mem = 37642240
using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
mrg: 'Quadra/Centris ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly.

[snip]

sn0 at obio0 address 08:00:07:6c:79:60

[snip]

nubus0 at mainbus0
ae0 at nubus0: address 02:60:8c:06:d9:50, type EtherNet card, 32KB memory
macvid0 at nubus0: Futura II LX
macvid0: Unknown video card ID 0x417 -- Not installing interrupt routine.

>What does netstat -r say?

Well, here's netstat -nr, from Macii:

macii# netstat -nr
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu  Interface
10               link#1             UC          0        0      -  ae0
10.0.0.1         127.0.0.1          UGHS        1       24      -  lo0
127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1          UH          1        0      -  lo0

>From "centris:

centris# netstat -nr
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu  Interface
10               link#2             UC          0        0      -  ae0
10.0.0.10        127.0.0.1          UGHS        1       24      -  lo0
127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1          UH          1        0      -  lo0

>My first concern is that you might have the routing messed up (if you
>ran ppp and tried to run ethernet in the same boot).

Don't think so, as I've had the same problems without running ppp in the
same boot.

>Forgive me if you've set everything up right already.

Well, I often overlook something obvious...so what's to forgive?

My /etc/hosts:

10.0.0.10       centris.mynet   centris
127.0.0.1       localhost
10.0.0.1        macii.mynet     macii

>I've done this before, and here's what I did:
>
>The big thing is that you must give each *interface* its own IP
>address. I have pokey, the IIsi, and banana, the SE/30.
>
>/etc/hosts (on each)
>
>10.0.0.1	pokey
>10.0.0.2	pokey-ppp
>10.0.0.3	banana-ppp
>10.0.0.4	banana
>
>Pokey:
>ifconfig ae0 inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0

When I do ifconfig ae0 as you suggest I get an error message:

macii# ifconfig ae0 inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0
macii# Apr 25 10:58:05 macii /netbsd: ae0: device timeout

The device time message worries me, seems like the card is not responding
to the software

Any other ideas I should try, or info to supply?

Thanks for your help.

Michel Chalufour
michelc@tiac.net