Subject: Re: your mail
To: Michel Chalufour <michelc@tiac.net>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/25/1997 09:00:44
Hi,

As I have a network with a IIcx and a Centris 650, I might be able to
help.

My Centris 650 has on-board Ethernet so I am going to assume yours does as
well.  Why not just use the on-board Ethernet on the C650 instead of using
the 3Com card?  The SONIC ethernet driver is working now.  Grab GENERIC-29
kernel and you should be set.  Note that the device will be 'sn0' not
'ae0' if you use the SONIC.  There could be an interrupt problem with the
3Com in the C650 (?).

Second, a couple of hints on debugging your network problems.  1) Ethernet
works under MacOS but not under NetBSD.  Have you tried testing half and
half.  Leave the C650 in MacOS and put the II in NetBSD.  Does the network
run OK?  Then, try it vice versa.  2) When pinging, try IP addresses
instead of host names.  Does it make a difference?

Your best friends for debugging are going to be 'ifconfig -a' and
'netstat'.  If you run 'ifconfig -a' does it should your ethernet as being
up?  Here is my Centris 650 running internal Ethernet:

ratbert% ifconfig -a
sn0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
        address: 08:00:07:0c:97:23
ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST>
        inet 0.0.0.0 --> 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xffffff00
ppp1: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST>
        inet 0.0.0.0 --> 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xffffff00
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST>
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST>
        inet 0.0.0.0 --> 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000

Hope this helps.

Mark

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Michel Chalufour wrote:
> Sorry my description was so vague, I just was hoping someone might know the
> 3Com card   and could say whether there's a chance it can work with NetBSD.
> In Mac OS the 2 computers can share files and launch applications, so the
> ethernet hardware and connections (thin wire 10Base-2) for the two-computer
> network appear to be working in that environment. When both computers are
> booted in NetBSD I can communicate between the two via serial wire and
> pppd, with ping, ftp, telnet working nornally (albeit slowly), but when I
> try  the same over the ethernet wire there seems to be no communication and
> I get the following message from ping:

Mark Andres             E-mail: mark@giganet.net
    Running NetBSD and 100% Microsoft Free!