Subject: Re: *My* Solution to Addressing Resolution!
To: Jeffrey E. Benedict <raoul@olympus.net>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1997 22:44:19
> Here's how I got it to resolve addresses:
>
> My /etc/resolv.conf now looks like this:
>
> domain      orca.esd114.wednet.edu
>
> #nameserver      <address of nameserver at chimacum.wednet.edu>
> nameserver      <secondary DNS address @ orca.esd114.wednet.edu>
> nameserver      <secondary DNS address>
>
> Now it resolves addresses.  I have a feeling that the DNS at our site is
> configured incorrectly.  I haven't tried resolving addresses via MacOS to
> see if our local DNS will resolve addresses, but I don't know why it would.
>  Unfortunately, my sysadmin is a twit and will get defensive if I suggest
> something is wrong......

Hmmm...how weird.  The following is what _should_ work in that it is what
I believe most admins would use:

domain		wednet.edu

nameserver	<address of chimacum.wednet.edu>
nameserver	<address of orca.esd114.wednet.edu>
nameserver	<other secondary server>

Assuming that esd114 is a subdomain of the wednet.edu domain, you might
try something like:

search		esd114.wednet.edu wsipc.wednet.edu wednet.edu

nameserver	192.206.201.4
nameserver	192.206.201.27
nameserver	147.225.1.2

The above assumes that the InterNIC's information is correct for the
domain named wednet.edu (i.e. that's where I got the nameserver
addresses).  Note that for either the "search" or "domain" keywords, you
should list _domains_ or _subdomains_, not full hostnames.

I hope this helps.

Later.