Subject: Mail the whole story (sendmail, pine, POPclient)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1997 20:33:07
Hey there,

   This is going to be a long one what I hope by doing this is to help both
myself and others on this list that might not know how to get mail working
on a new system because I'm completely lost on this.  I've been reading the
Unix System Administration Handbook that was recomended and all it talks
about is sendmail and from the sounds I'm way to busy to get sendmail
working so I'm looking into other options but I have questions on all three
programs that I've listed.

   1) sendmail:
As sendmail goes it sounds very time consuming to get set up but sounds
very handy and useful.  Right now I don't have time to set it up but I
would like to know if its as hard as everywhere says it is?  What it does?
If you can use programs like pine with it or not?  The whole story pretty
much.  I would also like to know the Unix System Administration Handbook
talks about 3 main versions.  It discusses V5, IDA, and V8.  From reading
the man on sendmail it only says something about V6.  What are the
differences between this version and the ones that the book talks about?

   2) pine:
I use it everyday at work so I know how to use it the only thing is I don't
know how flexible it is.  Can I use pine to get the mail from my ISP's POP3
client and send it out through the ISP's SMTP client.  If so how do I do
this?  Also where is the best place to put pine and pico the editor that
comes with it.  Despite the fact that I'll use pico because since I've been
working on NetBSD all I've been using is vi and I've gotten used to it and
found that it can be very flexible.

   3) POPclient
I was told that this in combination with pine would work to help me get my
mail.  I see that it will but I can't figure out if it will allow me to get
all my mail from my ISP's POP3 server and send everything in that popbox to
my one local user that I specify.  If it will do this someone please tell
me how to do this.  Right now I have mailmapping set up on my host (which
allows <any>@host.domain.com to go to my one popbox.  I do this because I
use different names for different things and because I've been planning on
getting unix up and going for sometime now.  I'm just getting around to
doing it.  So if anyone knows of how I can get it to do that please let me
know also where would I put the untar'd files from the POPclient tar file.
Oh the POPclient version I have is the one that's pre-compiled for NetBSD
Amiga port this is the one I was recommended to use.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Albert