Subject: Re: converting file system
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1997 16:10:53
> (Please teach your mailer to wrap text nicely. You might need to use
>a stick)

[stops to brandish foot-long crescent wrench]

I think i've isolated the problem.  If the inbox window is stretched
to longer than 72, techmail is ignoring the send window width setting,
and using the other window's width.  grr.  But a few more bindings in
lyx, and I'll be able to spend most of my time in bsd rather than
macos.  Just this morning, i had to switch because i couldn't find a
binding or command for <= as a single character, and had to go back to
word :(

Speaking of which, i don't suppose executor runs under macbsd?

> 2) is easy. ALL the source lives under /usr/src. Make /usr/src a
symlink
> to the jaz drive and you're set. That's most of the space. I've got
> such a link to my /y1 partition.

THat's where i currently am.  it links to /zip/usr/src

> 1) You could use a union mount option.

I'm thinking of /zip/usr as the bottom, then /usr, with /usr/src on
top of that.  Is this triple level legal?

> A third option is to just clean up your /usr and install the >
>programs.
> If you shuffle /usr/src (and /usr/include if needed), you CERTAINLY
> should have room in a 20 MB root and 80 MB /usr for the whole
> system. I have ALL my system (except the source and /usr/local) in
> a 100 MB root partition.

RIght now i seem to be at about 70% on each drive, with the man pages
all moved to the zip.

> There are some files you can delete to make space. /usr/share/dict
> contains a copy of all the words in the webster's dictionary. It's
> about 2 MB long. Youcan easily delete it. Note it's also linked to
> "words" so you have to delete both to get the space.

This is long gone :), but i think i need it back when i start running
lyx locally rather than on an alpha.  then again, i may be better
leaving lyx on the alphas . . .

>There's a
> lot of stuff in /usr/share/doc which can go too.

long gone :)

> I'd suggest keeping /usr/share/man.
this comes & goes as I get chances :)  right now it's on the zip.
hopefully, i can find a kind soul on campus who will share over nfs on
the campus ethernet.  And when i get a few hours (read: in two weeks,
after I finish finals), there's a stack of old 486's waiting for me to
turn into linux boxes.  One (at least) is earmarked as a server, with
three 210 mb drives.  It could very easily end up, err, sharing :)

>/usr/share/timezone can get cleaned out, though keep your timezone's
>info.

do I still need this with the new booter?  I've cleared out as much as
I could identify not being my timezone.

> I think you can just keep the source files on the zip (and possably
> /usr/include too) and install all the rest. It'll be simpler in the
> long run.

hmm, now that you mention it, /usr/include would only get used while
compiling, wouldn't it?  [waves at fleeing directory]

A couple of other areas i'm wondering about:
1) termcap seems to be about 2M.  I don't see any use for anything
other than vt100, vt220, and mac.  can I (and how?) safely strip this?
2) is there profitable pruning to be done in /usr/x11?  I can't tell
what so many of these do . . .

rick