Subject: Re: converting file system
To: Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1997 09:11:33

> > Actually, it's "fsck" that does the conversion.  See the man page for
> > fsck--specifically, the "-c" option.  :-)
>
> OK, i've found this in the manpage for fsck_ffs. Is there any reason to
> choose level 2 or 3, or should i simply stay with 1?  The largest disk
> is the 100mb zip; the others are 80 & 20mb.  The extras under 2 & 3
> don't sound like they'd make much difference on these small partitions

I think it's level 2 which is the minimum for supporting whiteouts. Without
that, you can only make read-only union mounts.

I have two main partitions on my system, root, and /y1. root is an old-style
partition which the installer can play with. /y1 is a new-style one and
supports whiteouts. Thus I have the best of both worlds.

Take care,

Bill