Subject: IIci Memory Configuration & Use
To: <>
From: Glen Stewart <netbsd@associate.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/1997 13:31:38
I have two questions about memory use under NetBSD...

1. When my system starts, it says 20Mb of real memory: 16Mb avail

 - does this mean that 4Mb is being used for the system, or that
   4Mb cannot be used because it's in another memory bank?

 - along with the question above, does NetBSD care how memory in
   the two banks is organized (4-1Mb's in A, and 4-4Mb's in B);
   and how much memory can I successfully use with NetBSD?

2. I have 20Mb of real RAM, and a 50Mb swap.  I'm finding that
   when about 60 processes are running (consuming 6Mb of RAM)
   that Virtual Memory used goes up to about 45Mb.  Is it safe to
   assume that more real RAM will decrease use of VM?

   I had the idea that VM was used a). to store memory images of
   sleeping or inactive processes, and b). to "contain" active
   processes when physical RAM is completely consumed.  If this
   assumption is right, then why would 45Mb of VM be allocated
   when only 6Mb of real RAM space (out of 20) is needed?

If this situation is anything like NetScape's cache, maybe I'd be
better off to just eliminate/minimize cache and keep my real RAM
high?

These questions are stimulated by trying to fix a very sluggish
system that is too disk-I/O bound.  I'm thinking that if I can
just reduce disk I/O, the thing will run more efficiently.  As it
now stands, it gets so busy I can hardly type on it.

Thanks,

Glen