Subject: Re: PAP
To: None <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: John Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/22/1997 03:12:54
At 03:46 PM 4/22/97 +0900, Ken and Masami Nakata wrote:
>On Tue, 22 Apr 1997 01:22:40 -0400,
>John Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu> wrote:
>> At 11:40 PM 4/21/97 -0400, Jeffrey Ohlmann wrote:
>> >	Warning - secrets file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group
>> >access
>>
>> chown root:wheel /etc/ppp/pap-secrets should work while you're root.
>
>Sorry but no, it shouldn't...  The phrase "world and/or group access"
>means you gave the file read permission by group and/or other.  IOW,
>the file's permission bits look like this when viewed with ls:
>
>r??r??-??  1 root  wheel  ... /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
>r??-??r??  1 root  wheel  ... /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
>r??r??r??  1 root  wheel  ... /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
>
>(where ? denotes "don't care")
>
>Probably the _right_ permission is 600 (rw-------).
>
>Ken

Yes, Ken...

It's been a weird week for emails. I mean to say one thing, and I end up
saying another, which is a really bad thing as I'm working on upgrading a
system:)

It's probably safest to use permission 0400, because the only time that the
file needs to be edited is when the root has tty access, and vi allows
force against read-only.

-John

If you ever see an ambulance with sirens blaring and
twin 50mm cannons on top, do not interpret this as a
Good Sign. Be very, very frightened, in fact.