Subject: Re: Changing SCSI ID #'s...
To: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/21/1997 21:13:32
The Performa 638 (and all the other Macs in that family) have an internal
EIDE drive, which is generally a wonderful thing (i.e. I just bought a 3.2
gig IBM EIDE drive for $280, try finding the equivalent SCSI drive for that
much!)  The internal hard drive of the 638 etc. doesn't show up on the SCSI
bus because its not on the SCSI bus, the only that is is you controller (ID
7).

The only option in this case is an external SCSI drive (at least until EIDE
support is added to NetBSD).  The problems don't end there however: another
snafu of the 638 is that it has a 68LC040 (no FPU), and NetBSD doesn't
exactly support that yet either.  I don't think the internal video is
supported either.

At 9:03 PM -0400 4/21/97, Paul Goyette wrote:

>Most drives in external cases come with a ID selector switch.  Internal
>drives generally have a set of jumper pins.  Check the documentation for
>your drive.
>
>On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Ben Belchak wrote:
>
>> How do I change the SCSI ID #'s?  Can this be done from MacOS, or do I
>>need
>> to get a new program?  My SCSIProbe program says this:
>>
>> ID  Type  Vendor  Product      Version
>> --  ----  ------  -------      -------
>>  7  CPU   APPLE   PERFORMA 638  7.5.5
>>
>> How do I make the HD go to SCSI ID # 0-6 ?
>>
>> Ben
>>

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
--
>-
>| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:
>|
>| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |
>paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
>| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |
>paul_goyette@ins.com  |
--
>-

-=3D-
Nathan

"Women are attracted to certain smells; most of them say they like a man who
'smells good.'"             - from Dress for Success, by John T. Molly, 1975