Subject: Re: Is there a way to mount a linux ext2 disk with bsd???
To: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/21/1997 15:21:22
Howdy, John!

> HellShok wrote:
> >
> > we have a bad computer that was running linux and i was wondering if
> > anyone has made it possible to mount a ext2 formatted disk there is
> > important info that i could really use off of this disk and i wanted
> > to know if it were at all possible....it is NOT mounted NFS please
> > help!!!!
>
> The first question you need to ask is:
>
> Is the linux disk an IDE/EIDE or SCSI disk?
>
> Not many Mac models support IDE (although a few do) but I
> don't think that NetBSD/mac68k supports IDE on any of
> those machines yet.
>
> If it's a SCSI disk you may have a chance, but a quick look
> at the source tree makes me think that ext2 isn't supported
> yet...
>
> (Someone please jump in here if these statements are
> incorrect.)

The statements are correct, but the problem's a bit worse than that. NetBSD
doesn't deal with variable types of disklabels; each port has its own.
So I doubt NetBSD/mac68k could help much, even if it were a SCSI drive.

One thing you could do, though, is read the whole disk to another disk.
If you have the free disk space, you could do something like

dd if=/dev/sd1c of=/mongofile

and then gzip the mongo file. You could then get this file to someone who
is running NetBSD/i386, and have them retrieve the files. Or even send it
to another Linux box, which would be quite happy.

Take care,

Bill