Subject: Re: dt
To: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/1997 18:37:53
On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> >   I've just recently (last night) downloaded dt-1.1.5 from
> > ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/utils/dt I think that's the URL for it
> > anyways.  But I got the 1.1.5 version.  I'm wondering if there's anyway of
> > getting it so it brings up more than 3 virtual terminals.
>
> Have you read the README? or CONFIG?  I believe that your question is
> answered in there, but anyway, the answer is yes.  If you want to open
> more terminals once dt has started, just do a command-O.  If you want more
> than 4 terminals, make sure that you have more than 4 ptys, though.  If
> you want dt to start up with more than 3 terminals, you need to change a
> variable in config.h in the source and recompile dt.

The -n option to dt will have it start with a specified number of virtual
terminals. "dt -n 6" will start it with 6 terminals. Of course you need
to make sure you have enought ptys if you want more than 4 as you said
(as root do "cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV pty0" to get 16 ptys instead of the
default 4. In fact, I believe the newer default is now 16 since
most people were using more than 4).

And dont forget to boot in B&W for dt to work.

"Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them."

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.