Subject: Running out of swap
To: NetBSD Mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/19/1997 16:27:08
Just in case anyone was wondering what actually does happen when you have
a machine that has no swap and it runs out of physical memory, here's the
answer:

it hangs.

That simple.  Everything is going along perfectly fine, and then it hangs.
A trace in the debugger shows that it hangs a few calls down into the vm
code, which is what I would pretty much expect.

I hope that somewhat answers someone's question about running out of swap
earlier.

Later.

P.S.  I've just set up an SE/30 with 8 MB RAM and an 80 MB harddrive and
haven't set up the swap partition yet (the MacOS partition that currently
holds the system will have to go first ;-)