Subject: Re: IIci '040@80Mhz - Will loan for devlpmt
To: Glen Stewart <glen_stewart@associate.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1997 18:01:58
On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Glen Stewart wrote:

> I picked up a Carrera 68040 accelerator for my IIci.  It runs at
> 80Mhz and was purchased at www.micromac.com.  It could be a real

<snip>

> The accelerator fits in the slot that the IIci cache card
> normally goes in.  The Mac control panel has options for '040
> Medium-speed (with write-through cache) and '040 Fast-speed.
> You can also turn the '040 off altogether and just run the '030
> processor that came with your system.
>
> I tried both '040 modes and the boot failed just after checking
> the video hardware.  The boot error was "Panic: Kernel jump to
> zero".  Turning the '040 off from the control panel allows the
> system to boot as usual, though with a little message about
> unknown memory at a certain address.  I assume it sees the
> accelerator there, but doesn't know how to handle it.

What version of {Net, Open}BSD are you running, out of curiosity?  To use
an 040, you will probably need newer than 1.2 (i.e. a -current GENERIC
kernel and preferrably the accompanying base121 package (I doubt the
others changed enough to worry about, expect maybe comp121?).  Beyond
that, I'll leave the answer to this question up to folks w/ more kernel
hacking experience.  :-)

> I'd love to pay whoever gets this working, but have limited
> resources after this acclerator card purchase.  It was a gamble

I doubt most of the ppl here would accept payment for NetBSD hacking even
if you could.  Hence the phrase volunteer effort.  :-)

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |