Subject: Re: RS-423
To: David Bushong <dbushong@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1997 09:23:03

> OK, so I got a new Epson Stylus Color 600, which seems (fairly) happy with
> MacOS, but lo and behold I try dumping text to it from NetBSD and I get...
> pages of 'x's.  Upon further inspection (RTF instruction book)  I notice
> it claims that its serial interface is "RS-423"  Now, normal unix serial
> drivers use RS-232, right?  Is there any chance of my faking it?  Do I
> have any chance at all?  Do I have a clue?

It should be an "RS-422" interface AFAIK.

Normal NetBSD/mac68k drivers use the normal mac serial ports, which are
RS-422.

Since the printer works under MacOS, I suspect the problem is either
that you are using the wrong baud rate, or the printer doesn't work in
text mode (which would be suprising).

What baud rate are you using?

Take care,

Bill