Subject: Re: intvid - Classic II
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1997 00:22:55
I recently got the following message from a Classic II user:

> I gave compiling -current a shot.  I had a few errors compiling that I had
> to fix (mainly upgrading configure and one spot whith tmp_vpages) but I
> got it compiled.  However, the results are the same as with 1.2.1 without
> the intvid patches from ftp.macbsd.com.  I did not use sup, i got
> sys.tar.gz if there is a difference.
[snip]
> Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k
> Getting mapping from MMU.
> System RAM: 10452992 bytes in 2552 pages.
> 	Low = 0x0, high = 0x9f8000
>     no internal video at address 0 -- videoaddr is 0xfee09a80.
> Done.
> Bootstrapping the pmap system.
> Pmap botstrapped.
> Moving ROMBase from 0x40a00000 to 0x9f9000.
> Video adress 0xfee09a80 -? 0xbf9a80.
> <HANG>

This shouldn't happen with the old intvidtest 0.x patches. Getting the
Classic II and the Powerbooks working was a big leap in machine support.
Were the hacks for these machines removed from machdep.c by mistake?

I figured that the only impediment to Classic II's not using GENERIC
kernels was that they lacked the ADBTEST code that is now included.

The boot from above looks like something from before INTVIDTEST0.x.
The Classic II has a very odd video address (something like 0x70nnnn)
and required a few other oddities in machdep.c. All of them were submitted
back in september when I sent in the diffs for intvidtest 0.x.

What gives?

Thanks.