Subject: Popper and routed
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/17/1997 18:40:11
Hi,

My C650 with the GENERIC-27 kernel and SONIC ethernet driver now seems
to be working fine.  It has been up all day with various FTPs and such
flying around the network.  The magic that got it to work for me was to
disable routed.  I know that routed comes enabled by default on many UN*X
systems, but is it really wise?  If you are not using your UN*X box as a
router, there is no need to run routed.  If you are using your UN*X box as
a router, then it is better to get/run gated.  Just a thought.

Now a quick question.  Does anyone have popper working properly?  If so, I
would like to know what permission you use for the popper binary as well
as the /var/mail directory.  Whenever I try to log in to via POP client, I
get

  popper[2718]: Unable to open temporary maildrop '/var/mail/.mark.pop':
   Permission denied (13)
  popper[2718]: mark@bullwinkle: -ERR System error, can't open temporary
   file, do you own it?

I have popper running as root in the inetd.conf

  pop3   stream  tcp   nowait  root  /usr/libexec/popper  popper -sd

and popper is owned by root.  Root has write access on the /var/mail
directory.  However, the only way I can get popper to work is to set
/var/mail to rwxrwxrwx.  I don't really want to have the /var/mail
directory world write-able, as this machine may go on the Internet soon.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  I really appreciate all the help I got
with my SONIC problems.

Mark Andres             E-mail: mark@giganet.net
    Running NetBSD and 100% Microsoft Free!