Subject: Re: Booting problems...
To: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/16/1997 16:06:51
>I can't seem to boot into NetBSD on my Mac II, I got it working before,
>blew away my installation because I wanted to change my hard drive
>partitioning, and now I can't seem to get things to work, I just get this
>message from the Booter:
>
>Booting...File "NETBSD" not found.
>Could not open kernel "(0,?)NETBSD".
>
>My old setup:
>Quantum 270 formatted with HDT 1.8, Root&usr first partition, 16MB swap, no
>MacOS.
>
>I now have:
>Quantum 270 (ID 0) formatted with Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5, 20MB swap first
>partition, 244MB Root&usr second partition, 6MB MacOS partition (I moved
>the swap based on the theory that the first partition is at the perimeter
>of the platter and thus has the highest data transfer rate for the disk).
>Conner 250 (ID 4) formatted with Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5, 200MB User
>partition, 50 MB MacOS parition.
>
>I installed the standard NetBSD 1.2 and X11R6 packages on the Quantum 270
>with the HD hooked up to my Quadra 630, then moved it inside the Mac II.
>The wierd thing is that the mini-shell in the installer reveals everything
>is there on the Root&usr partition!
>
>I can't figure it out.  What am I doing wrong?

If your typing can be believed then I think the problem is that you are
trying to runa kernel named NETBSD whereas the kernels usually install as
netbsd (difference in case).  Are you sure that you have a kernel called
NETBSD? Go into the installer, run the mini shell do an ls and let us see
that.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu