Subject: Re: how to sup: FAQ?
To: Charles Sebold <pretender@macstore.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/15/1997 16:03:31
> This may be a FAQ, but I couldn't find any really basic information on
> this, and I couldn't understand the man page.

Actually, it's not, but I've got some notes put together on it anyway...

> I can't for the life of me figure out how to run sup.  I've got a 500MB
> drive mounted on /usr/src just for -current compiles, and my computer has a
> full-time connection to the internet via our network, so this should be
> fairly simple, I would think.  When I want to download -current, I
> currently have to download the sys.tar.gz tarball (9.5MB+) and de-tar it
> into /usr/src.  Obviously, not ideal.

No, probably not the best way.  However, running sup is quite easy once
you have it set up.

> I couldn't quite figure out which parts of the man page are for sup-serving
> or not, and what to put into any configuration files it was looking for.
> If this information does exist somewhere and I didn't look hard enough, a
> simple URL would be fine.

I've pretty much ignored the man pages, instead using the advice of people
from the various groups.  I've compiled some of it into notes for a HOWTO.
The notes are on puma:

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/docs/notes/

> Unless someone feels this should be addressed in the list, I would prefer
> not to clutter it; please reply back to me only.  I appreciate in advance
> any help anybody can give me.

Might as well have this posted to the list.  Maybe someone will take my
notes and write a real HOWTO on it ;-)  BTW, the sup directory on
ftp.netbsd.org does contain a whole bunch of useful stuff and examples as
well.

I hope this helps some.

Later.