Subject: Re: Appletalk over Printerport? CAP, netatalk?
To: Christoph Ewering <eweri@uni-paderborn.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/15/1997 09:49:09

> Hello!
>
> I wonder if it is possible to run CAP or netatalk over the printerport
> under NetBSD.

No. Neither PPP nor LocalTalk are supported at this time. I'm working on
LocalTalk, but it'll take a while as I'm also trying to finish my PhD. :-)

The actual drivers aren't hard. The hard part is making a clean design
which can share the tty with normal serial port uses (all the Linux
LocalTalk drivers I've seen are for cards which only support LocalTalk
so they don't have the sharing problem).

> As far as I know, netatalk has to build during kernel compilation, but
> runs as a demon, right?
> I'm unable to compile a kernel, so i have to use CAP.

Yes. Netatalk puts ddp into the kernel. ddp is the closest Appletalk
equivelent to IP. It sends packets from one machine to the next with no
assurance of delivery. All the other layers are in programs, and the
atalkd daemon sits around and helps run things.

> If it is possible to run CAP over the printerport, i would like to
> build a LocalTalk-net with my Q700 running NetBSD and my 165c running
> MacOS.
>
> And if this is possible, will it be possible to mount the hfs-volumes
> that are on the scsi-bus of the BSD-Mac on the 165c Powerbook?
> Like this:
> hfs-volume(SCSI-bus) -> Q700(NetBSD)
>  -> CAP(Printerport) -> PB 165c(Icon on desktop from hfs-volume)

Not really. Paul Goyette and I worked on supporting this, but never
finished. We got an hfs file system going but never cured a bug in its
buffer management. We never figured it out.

I'd think that a better thing would be to start over with hfs_fs. It's
VERY Linuxy, but it seems to be writing ok and its author is iterested
in a NetBSD port. :-)

Take care,

Bill