Subject: Re: SONIC ethernet driver
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/15/1997 16:46:37
Hi Allen,

Thanks for the reply.

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Allen Briggs wrote:
> This sounds like you're losing interrupts.  Do you have the latest
> grf_iv.c?  (version 1.19)

Could you possibly give me a hint as to where I might find it in my
system.  Note that I am not compiling my own kernel, but rather using
GENERIC-27 and the April 2 snapshot.  I did a find for grf_iv.c but did
not find it.  Do I need it even if I am not compiling my own kernel?

> > I have things set up exactly the same on the IIcx and the C650.
>
> I assume that's "except for the IP address"  ;-)

Nice try.  I know, I always try and eliminate the obvious possibilities
first.  The IP addresses are different (yes, your question made me go
check them again).  However, all the other settings are the same excpet
for IP address and hostname.  BTW, I am using dummy IP addresses for my
LAN 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, and 10.0.0.3.

> Have you tried cold-booting the 650 w/o extensions and w/o configuring
> the network stuff at all on the MacOS side?  The Q610, it seems, works
> much better if MacTCP hasn't been using the ethernet...

After reading on the list about the possibility fo Mac ethernet settings
messing up the NetBSD side, I did not even install MacTCP/EtherTalk
software on the MacOS side.  Basically, I bought this C650 used a little
over a month ago.  The HD is a virgin 1.2 GB and the first thing I did
when booting up the C650 was do a complete PRAM zap using TechTool.

Actually, I am now thinking it might be worth it to try and install the
ethernet drivers/MacTCP on the MacOS just to eliminate a bad ethernet
port or bad transceiver as possibilities.

Mark Andres             E-mail: mark@giganet.net
    Running NetBSD and 100% Microsoft Free!