Subject: Re: System Freezes
To: None <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1997 23:01:54
>On Mon, 14 Apr 1997 21:37:21 -0500,
>Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net> wrote:
>>
>> Yes I have a FPU 68882 NUBUS adapter card.  IIsi is 68030 20 MHz BTW
>
>Oops, here goes my rusty memory again.
>
>> >What if you hook up a serial terminal to the modem or printer port
>> >(tty00 or tty01, respectively), run getty on it to log in on it,
>> >and try to login on the serial port?  It probably is very heavy
>> >if what I think is happening is indeed happening, but you should
>> >be able to at least login and see what's going on.
>>
>> Where would I get a serial console?  Anyway to hook it up so the printer
>> monitors it?
>
>No, I didn't say serial "console".  I said a serial "terminal",
>meaning you don't get the boot messages on it but you can log in on
>it.  And what I suggest is that you plug in a terminal (or another
>computer running terminal emulator) to your serial port so that you
>can type your login name and password to get into the system to see
>what's going on (by ps command, etc).
>
>As for the places, I don't know of any.  Sorry.
>
>> You never said wether I should boot in single user mode and run fsck or
>> not.  Should I or shouldn't I?
>
>AFAICT, there's no reason you shouldn't.  OTOH, it's always safer if
>you do.
>
>Ken

yes, this whole thing works and is a good idea to install unless you have a
printer connected. i use a 9600bps getty on my tty01 in case my console
software crashes (i.e. dt or x11r6). this reduces the number of time my mac
has actually "crashed" to about 2. (once when i attempted to mount the
driver partition on my MacOS hard drive, and once when i tried deleting a
file in /lost+found) but the rest of the time, i've been hooked up to the
net, so i telnet and login, or if i'm not, i run a printer cable into the
printer port of both my macs and use zterm and log in.
btw, netbsd getty can't handle data more than 9600bps, so don't try -
you'll get tons of errors.
  - a