Subject: Re: media errors?
To: Mr BOFH <root@macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1997 19:49:39
At 10:17 Uhr +0200 14.04.1997, Mr BOFH wrote:
>	hi. my 1gb disk seems to have media errors. syslog.log says this:
>
>macaroni /netbsd: sd1(sbc0:2:0): medium error, info = 1101906 (d
>ecimal), data = 00 00 00 00 00 24 43 ed 02 aa 61 6c
>
>have i understood this correctly, and if so, can anyone point me to a faq
>on how to mask out the bad sectors?

Easy.

If *and only if* you are sure that the sectors reported as defective result
from damaged media and not from a flaky SCSI driver, then fire up your
MacOS formatter and let it do a media check. It will report any sectors
found defective, then tell the drive to add them to its "grown defects"
list and replace them with spare sectors.

When you're done, reboot single-user into MacBSD (if you still can ;) and
"fsck -fp" the drive. Be prepared for occasional crashes from programs that
have holes shot through their images.

I wrote the "*and only if*" above because for a long time sbc equipped
kernels used to crash with my magneto-optical and leave 15 "defective"
sectors behind.

Good luck,

	hauke