Subject: Re: sick of PPP questions yet?
To: Steven Campbell <campbel@istar.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1997 09:34:30

> Hi.  As you may have guessed, I'm having problems with PPP config as
> well.  Here goes.  My machine is a Powerbook 550c, with 28 MB RAM.  The
> modem is a Hayes Optima 288B. I'm running the Apr. 7th (?) snapshot of
> NetBSD.
>
> I'm trying to get PPP going to my ISP.  I copied my MacOS connection
> script, word for word, including the modem init, and it doesn't work.
> What I get is Connect: ppp0 <-> /dev/tty00
> then, I get Modem hangup
> then, i get Connection hangup, followed by a short delay, and then the
> modem actually disconnects.
>
> My options file looks like this:
>
> ABORT BUSY
> ABORT "NO CARRIER"
> ABORT "NO DIAL"
> TIMEOUT 10
> "" AT OK ATZ OK "AT&F&C1&D0&K3S10=40\10" OK ATDT$NUMBER
> TIMEOUT 30
> CONNECT ""
> sername:\r--sername:  $USERNAME
> assword:              $PASSWD
> >                     "ppp default"
>
> the ppp default must be there, because my ISP allows dialin from across
> Canada, and if you don't, you won't connect...
>
> I also can't tell how far it gets into the chat script.  the Modem lights
> flash for about 5-10 seconds, and then cease, and I get the modem hangup
> message.

The fact that the log says ppp was established indicates that chat
finished.  You can also ftp over the ppp-debug script, and try it
(don't forget to update the permissions after you ftp it). Then you will
be able to see what's happening.

You can also turn on debugging in ppp to see what's up.

Take care,

Bill