Subject: Re: 630 doesn't like recent kernels
To: None <rbraun@geocities.com>
From: Ken and Masami Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1997 14:13:42
On Sun, 13 Apr 1997 20:13:32 -0400,
Rolf Braun <rbraun@geocities.com> wrote:
> OK, the LC040 bug is still bothering me but I tried booting some recent
> kernels anyway to see if anything else got fixed/broken... this is on a
> Performa 637CD, 20 MB RAM, 68LC040, AppleDesign extended keyboard (the
> standard one), Apple Desktop Bus Mouse II (again, the standard one), no
> cards of any sort.
>
> GENERIC-26: works fine

Does G-26 show any line starting with "mrg" when booting?  If so,
I won't be surprised.

> GENERIC-27: this doesn't boot.
>
> Output from booting GENERIC-27:
> [ preserving 308578 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
> Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
[...]
> mrg: 'Quadra630 ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
> mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly.
[...]

Here they are.  G-27 accesses the ADB via ROM routines.  That's why
it (currently) works.

> panic: Bus error
> Stopped at _Debugger+0x6: unlk a6
> db>

I'm not sure why this happens, though.

> Note that the keyboard works at this point. I can type stuff in the debugger.

Then you can type "t" to look at the stack trace?

> GENERIC-28: this no worko either. repeating "adb: cleanup: nothing
> returned" right after "adb: using Cuda hardware support"... freezes in a
> few seconds after that. Command-Reset invokes debugger, but I can't type
> anything.

Apparently direct Cuda support isn't finished yet.  You're stuck with
MRG ADB driver for the moment.

Ken