Subject: Minor annoyance
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason S. <root@myname.my.domain>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/13/1997 14:16:30
After I heard about popclient on the mailing-list, I dl'd and installed it.

It worked great, but my implementation of it has unleashed a minor annoyance
on my system.  I put together a script:

(borrowing the 'p=...' line from Paul Goyette's ppp-up) to check if pppd is
running, and if so, fetch my mail.

It works fine.  But when cron runs it, I get back an annoying bunch of error
messages that various /proc/[pid]/status files don't exist. (This does not
happen when I invoke the script manually).  I added the wildcard (statu* instead
of status) to the grep in an attempt to stop this.  Didn't work.  So I added the
sync (hey, it was worth a try).  Still didn't work.

The script does what I want it to, but I am really annoyed by the error messages
and the email I get from cron repeating them.

Any suggestion?

(oops - suggestions)

J.

(If this is ugly, blame it on Berkeley mail...)