Subject: Re: Mkfs 1.4 didn't work
To: Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/13/1997 18:46:27
> I just found 1.4 a couple of days ago, and have had absolutely no luck with
> it at all.  I've made partitions both with the old 3.01 a/ux, and with the
> hd sc from 7.5 on hard disks.  I've used zip installed and hdsc installed
> partions on zips.  I've reinitialized hard disks.  I've used both aux and
> mac partitions.  In each and every case, 1.4 has been unable to see anything
> but the driver partitions.  With the older mkfs in the 1.2 distribution, i
> can put partitions on all ofthese (though the zips have other problems).

I believe that this question was just answered (either this morning or
yesterday).  The problem is that your hard disk formatter creates an
incorrect partition map.  Mkfs has a hard time reading these.  The
solution is to create some other kind of partition (such as a MacOS
partition or a free partition) as the last partition on the drive.
Apparently, it can be as small as 1kB.

I hope this helps.

Later.