Subject: Re: X settings
To: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/13/1997 15:32:52
>Ok I've tried to do this several times read the manuals and appearently
>still can't get it right.  Whenever I start up X running startx it gives me
>2 xterms a login and an xclock.  My problem is that both the login and the
>first xterm window are too long they go way off the screen.  I have a 13"
>Apple RGB monitor.  If anyone can help me out with setting this up
>currectly so things don't just scroll off the screen it would be helpful.
>Also there should be some way of setting up scroll bars as well as setting
>up the ability to cut and paste in X.
>
>Thanks,
>Albert

type man startx, and it tells you that whenever startx runs it looks for a
file .xinitrc in your home directory, and if it doesn't find one it uses
the one in the xinit library file (/usr/X11R6/lib/x11xinit/xinitrc on my
system) and uses that to tell it what to do at startup.
So copy this file to ~/.xinitrc and edit to your liking.  The lines at the
bottom that have the word xterm, start up your xterms, and the geometry
part tells them how big to be.  Type man X for more on the geometry stuff.

Remember man is your friend, look there and in the FAQs first.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu
My home page