Subject: Re: File system date wrong after install
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/13/1997 20:45:27
      Hi,

>>> After doing an install or cpin (using Installer 1.1c), I almost always get
>>> a message "Warning: Battery clock earlier than filesystem date" and the
>>> system decides to use the latter, which is bogus. Anyone else seen this?
>>Do you have your GMT bias set correctly in the Booter?  Or else are you
>>using a kernel with an RTC_OFFSET compiled in?
>I have the GMT bias set to 120 minutes (MET-DST), the "Map" control panel
>is set to Berlin, I'm using the GENERIC#29 kernel from the latest snapshot
>(the one with the ADB routines), so I don't expect it to have RTC_OFFSET.
>When I just reboot the system, everything is fine. Only after installing,
>the time gets wrong, by some random amount. I've seen differences between
>half an hour and several hours.

I think I have figured out what happens: it is a fug (that is a bug that
would, in a Microsoft program, be called a "feature" :-> ) in the Installer.
The timestamp is set to the local MacOS time (a cpin followed by ls shows
this), but it should be set to GMT. When the filesystem is mounted during
the boot process, the timestamp is interpreted as GMT, what it should be,
and the offset, which for MET is positive, is added to it. That of course
gives a later time than that of the battery clock.
The irregularity of course came from the time elapsed between installing
and booting. The negative offset for US-based systems probably caused this
to remain unnoticed.

Best wishes,

           Nico

--
  Dr. N.J.R. van Eikema Hommes     Computer-Chemie-Centrum
  hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de       Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg