Subject: Re: Q630, GENERIC 27, and Kensington
To: Howard S Shubs" , "port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1997 20:57:02
>I'd had a Gravis joystick and a Kensington Turbomouse 5.0 on, as well as
>the Extended Keyboard I and an Apple mouse.  When I put the Turbomouse back
>in, I got the previous ResHandle Too Small (or something like that) error
>again.  I -need- this trackball: mice suck.

The error comes from running out of ResHandles while making calls for ROM
Resources. This is part of the MRG code solution for the ADB so proably
won't be a problem at all with the Hardware Direct ADB solution.  I'm not
sure why the ResHandles Table gets exhausted with certain ADB devices,
but it does.  I recall working with someone on this some time ago and we
increased the table size to a value larger than the total number of
Resources in the ROM and still couldn't eliminate the error.  It's
probably a case where there's an error in the use of the ResHandles Table
*and* a loop of some kind in the ADB ROM routines trying to handle these
devices.  There are some ROM patches for the ADB routines in MacOS that
we're not currently using in the MRG code in NetBSD, and they may be
related this this problem.

So, unless someone wants to dig back into the MRG code to solve this real
solutions are to either wait for the Hardware Direct code or run without
the offending ADB device.

-bob