Subject: Re: PPP and Internet Programs
To: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1997 20:32:15
>Thank you all for all of your help.  I know have PPP up and running
>sucessfully, but I'm back to my MacOS again to write this.  I have several

I don't know why i'm the only person who can't get the ppp scripts on
ftp.macbsd.com working... :(

>questions about internet related software.  First of all is the ircII-2.9
>found on ftp.netbsd.org what I should be using?  I've got a Mac IIsi

sure. just download it, and tar -zxvf it (the -z ungzips in there...), and
put the binaries in /usr/local/bin/ or wherever you feel appropriate.

>running NetBSD 1.2 Generic #1 Kernal.  Second of all is there a version of
>Netscape out there that is compatible with this setup and is it fairly easy
>to set up under NetBSD also how does it run, does it work with X and how
>does it look in Black and White?  Also today I had a problem with PPP.  I

Netscape is commercial software, therefore you cannot find source code for
it, and there is no NetBSD port. so forget about running that. Mosaic, on
the other hand, comes pre-compiled in the netbsd-amiga binary archives
(work with either amigas or mac68ks, as long as they're both netbsd). to
tell the truth, i ran it in black and white, and it was very ugly and slow.
the color kernel is supposed to be coming out hopefully sometime soon, so
that would make it look better, but i don't know if the slowness was on
account of my mistake or what.  If you really want a web browser, you can
always get Lynx, a vt100-compatible WWW browser. although it lacks the
graphics, it's quite speedy and works fine. you can probably find lynx
binaries on the netbsd archives (maybe somewhere in the vicinity of the
IRCii you mentioned earlier), or you can do a web search for it and compile
it on your own machine.

>needed to use the phone so while compiling ircII-2.9 the modem had
>disconnected so I picked up the phone to make my phone call.  When I tried
>to connect again it insisted that it was connected.  I tried typing in
>ppp-stop and it said it had killed pppd.  I did a ps -aux and found pppd
>still active.  So I sent a kill -1 <pid of pppd> and got no response.  I
>then sent a kill -9 <pid of pppd> and still no response.  Is pppd an
>exception to kill statement if so how do I get it restarted because it
>absolutely refused to work.  The other thing I'd like to get set up is a

well, i have not had much luck with the ppp scripts, but just as a
reminder, don't kill -9 <pid of pppd> because that forcequits it, and
screws up your defaultroute, which essentially means you need to reboot
your machine if you intend to use pppd again :\
"kill <pid of pppd>" should work, but the binary is probably being
controlled by  a script, in which case you need to consult someone else. :\

>mail program so I can start recieving mail through unix.  Any way of doing
>this is it built into NetBSD or do I need to download something like POP3
>and set it up?

I have heard of a good POP3 client for unix called fetchmail. you probably
can find source code by doing a web search. I think you need to set up
sendmail to use this software, so you might need to consult some man pages.
good luck,

>Albert

  - a