Subject: PPP and Internet Programs
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1997 19:56:29
Thank you all for all of your help.  I know have PPP up and running
sucessfully, but I'm back to my MacOS again to write this.  I have several
questions about internet related software.  First of all is the ircII-2.9
found on ftp.netbsd.org what I should be using?  I've got a Mac IIsi
running NetBSD 1.2 Generic #1 Kernal.  Second of all is there a version of
Netscape out there that is compatible with this setup and is it fairly easy
to set up under NetBSD also how does it run, does it work with X and how
does it look in Black and White?  Also today I had a problem with PPP.  I
needed to use the phone so while compiling ircII-2.9 the modem had
disconnected so I picked up the phone to make my phone call.  When I tried
to connect again it insisted that it was connected.  I tried typing in
ppp-stop and it said it had killed pppd.  I did a ps -aux and found pppd
still active.  So I sent a kill -1 <pid of pppd> and got no response.  I
then sent a kill -9 <pid of pppd> and still no response.  Is pppd an
exception to kill statement if so how do I get it restarted because it
absolutely refused to work.  The other thing I'd like to get set up is a
mail program so I can start recieving mail through unix.  Any way of doing
this is it built into NetBSD or do I need to download something like POP3
and set it up?

Albert