Subject: Re: gcc fatal signal still desperately need help
To: Erich Rast <h0444zkf@rz.hu-berlin.de>
From: Peter Kelm <kelm@physik.TU-Berlin.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/11/1997 08:21:50
On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Erich Rast wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> I don=B4t want you to get bored, but i still haven=B4t been able to solve
> my problem with gcc - it almost always exits with the error "cc1 got fata=
> signal 4" or signal 11. This is what i=B4ve done so far to get things wor=
k:
> 1.) checked swap area - it=B4s 10meg, not enough for programs like dt? my=
 real
> memory is 5meg (IIci)
> 2.) completely reinstalled the comp12 binaries on my zip (mounted on /zip=
)
> 3.) once again linked all new libexec (cc1, cc1plus etc.) to the correspo=
nding
> /usr/libexec/... on my root partition (hd 40meg)
> 4.) checked many, many gcc options e.g. i tried
>      cc -I/dt-1.1.5 -I- -c grf.c
> for this source for dt - because it still crashes i guess it=B4s not a
> problem with symbolic links (grf.c only includes from his own directory n=
> system includes)
> 5.) read all manual pages corresponding to gcc, signals, devices (zip...)=
, etc.
> 6.) crashed my zip installation because i thought playing with disklabel =
would
> help improve the data security, repeated step 1-5 (i don=B4t longer think
> this is a zip problem - something must be wrong with the gcc binaries on
> _my_ configuration)
>=20
> I don=B4t have to resources to do crosscompiling for NetBSD on another
> system, so please don`t tell me i should recompile gcc.
>=20
> Does anyone have any clue what the **** is wrong with my system?
> Maybe it has something to do with the lack of an FPU?

there _is_ af FPU in a IIci!!!!!!!
=20
> Please, can anyone who knows this problem at least give me an hint how
> to find it`s source or give me advice what i could check further?
> - NetBSD is great, but without a C compiler it=B4s hmmm....blind? deaf?
> If i only have to uppgrade to -current, that=B4s ok, but i don=B4t want t=
o do
> this as long as i=B4m unsure if this solves the problem...

i would suppose that 5megs of RAM is kinda too limited. i encountered
things like these occasionally on my IIci (which works/compiles/... great)
while recompiling gcc some time ago. my explanation concerning these
signals is that your load gets too high and therefore itcannot service
vital stuff as fast as it needs to.

just an idea...

Peter

         --- beam me up Scotty, this planet sucks ---                     =
=20
                                                        Plan B
Peter Kelm (kelm@physik.tu-berlin.de)

Technical University Berlin