Subject: Q610, Sonic
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/10/1997 22:39:35
Today's report from a Quadra 610 running NetBSD/mac68k-current as of 10
April 1997:

The Sonic driver is getting better: It does no longer just hang the
system.

The first attempt was good: Do an ifconfig sn0 inet <addr> and hoopla, it
just works -- I can ping and slogin to my IIcx, also running -current
as of a couple of days ago. I have it running for a while, but does
not really stress-test it.

Then fix the start up scripts and reboot - bang !! It configures the
interface, but it does not work at all -- grumble, grumble, thinking
a little -- then running tcpdump on both machines. It seems that
the Sonic can transmit correctly, but it delivers wrong data to
the kernel. It started by delivering all-zero packets, then to
deliver packets with garbled contents (including the MAC addresses).

Reboot again. All packets are still read as all zeroes, but probably
with correct lengths. The number of packets, however, is correct.
It just gets all-zero packets where the other machine has sent the
correct data, e.g. arp responses.

regards
Erik Bertelsen