Subject: Another type of fsck problem...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Lefman <jlefman@bu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/10/1997 01:53:12
Hi,

Today I was using untarring a file and for some reason, at the last file in
the archive, tar wouldn't quit.  In fact, I couldn't even get back to a
shell prompt.  I had to do a reboot using the keyboard.

When I booted again, I got an error obviously coming from my rc file saying
that fsck found an unknown error or something to that effect.  It's the
last error in the case statement in rc.  I tried rebooting a couple of
times and got the same error.  I had to go in single-user mode, read-only.
I'm not sure if what I did next was good, but I figured since it was in
read-only mode that there wouldn't be much harm caused since fsck won't do
anything to a mounted file system.  fsck comes up with no problems when I
run it from a shell prompt.  It only gives me an unknown error when I'm
booting.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Thanks,

Jon