Subject: Performa 636 and GENERIC-27/28
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/09/1997 12:30:57
    I managed to get NetBSD successfully up and running using the
GENERIC-26 kernel a few days ago.  After grabbing the new snapshot and
the kernel that was with it (GENERIC-27), I found that this kernel did
not successfully boot on my machine.  I saw the GENERIC-28 as well, and
tried that one, but it also didn't work.  Here are the boot messages
from each:

GENERIC-27:
NetBSD 1.2D (GENERIC) #27: Tue Apr  8 01:27:04 CDT 1997
    scottr@beech:/a/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
Apple Macintosh Quadra 630  (68040)
real mem = 20971520
avail mem = 17068032
using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
mrg: 'Quadra630 ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly.
adb: bus subsystem
adb: extended keyboard at 2
adb: extended mouse <LT01> 3-button 400 dpi mouse at 3
mainbus0 (root)
obio0 at mainbus0
adb0 at obio0 (ADB event device)
asc0 at obio0: Apple Sound Chip
trap type 0, code = 105, v= 7fe01c
kernel: Bus error trap
pid = 0, pc = 0x000be062, ps = 0x00002004, sfc = 0x00000001, dfc = 0x00000001
[more trap info follows, I can provide if necessary]
The debugger is dead on entry, the db> prompt appears, but any key you
type causes an FPU error.  BTW, the line that follows this in the
GENERIC-26 boot is the detection of esp0.

GENERIC-28:
NetBSD 1.2D (GENERIC) #29: Tue Apr  8 13:53:49 CDT 1997
    scottr@beech:/a/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
Apple Macintosh Quadra 630  (68040)
real mem = 20971520
avail mem = 17068032
using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
mrg: 'Quadra630 ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly.
adb: using Cuda series hardware support
adb: cleanup: nothing returned
[...]

And at this point the kernel hangs.

    Thoughts?  I tried GENERIC-26 again and it booted just fine (got all
the way to the login prompt, then on typing "r" at the login prompt it
FPU errored...  =)  Okay, well, I tried it again and it died in the
middle of /etc/rc, and I tried it again and it panic'ed during the
kernel load.  But 26 does sometimes load all the way, 27 and 28 always
die in the same place...  =)

    Just thought I'd point this out.  Thanks.

                                                          Will Ferry

William O Ferry <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger:  woferry@WarpDrive.RES.CMU.EDU
talk:  finger for online status   | http://warpdrive.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/