Subject: Re: IIcx
To: None <rervin@oasis.novia.net>
From: Ken and Masami Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/09/1997 10:46:52
On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 20:28:21 -0500 (CDT),
Richard Ervin <rervin@oasis.novia.net> wrote:
> Doubly so!  I have version 7.1 - Mode32 does not exist on either distribution
> of it that I have access to.

Mode32 is not a part of standard System 7.x distribution, nor is it a
part of NetBSD distribution.  You need to get it from somewhere and
install it.

When installed, Mode32 Version 7.5 does not appear as a CP, whether
installed on System 7.1 or System 7.5.  The Mode32 version prior to
7.5 (forgot the exact number) did appear as a CP when installed, and
you had to enable 32-bit addressing mode both in Mode32 and Memory
CPs.  I myself got bit by this a couple of times, so I'm pretty sure
of it.

Did you _install_ Mode32 to your system 7.1?  You can get a copy from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/... somewhere (sorry,
don't remember).  Well, even if you didn't, it should not freeze but
it should panic instead.

I remember that complete freeze is typical when you are using MacOS
virtual memory or RAMdoubler, but I suspect it could happen when you
are loading a wrong kernel file (corrupted in ASCII or text transfer,
or decompressed by MacGzip in ASCII or text mode, etc), or when you
have a non-standard hardware or extension.

Ken