Subject: Re: problems with netbsd
To: GRX <gricard@elux3.cs.umass.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1997 19:46:29

> Ok, I have two problems both of which may sound dumb.
> First I have no ide how to type up or down in Xwin (that MUST sound lame).

It won;t sound dumb until I understand it. Then maybe. :-) What exactly
do you mean?

> and second , and more important is that I cannot seem to make any new
> ttyp's or ptyp's without some type of problem. I made them first with
> mknod because I didnt understand the MAKEDEV script, and the ttyp's i made
> didnt work so i trashed them. I did chgrp them to tty and chmod 666 them
> and i created them by typing 'mknod ttyp# c 4 #'. THose didnt work at all.
> Then i creaed them using 'MAKEDEV pty4. That made a large amount of ttyp's
> and ptyp's but none of these seemed to work either. They're all written to
> my /etc/tty file if that matters and they are all chown'd to root and
> chgrp'd to tty, is there something Im doing wrong ?

I think the problem is that MAKEDEV makes pty's in batches of 16. So
you made the 5th batch of 16 (64 through 79). Try MAKEDEV pty0
and MAKEDEV pty1. That should give you 32 of the beasties.

Also, there's a note in /dev/MAKEDEV "Note that telnetd, rlogind, and
xterm (at least) only look at p-s" so only pty0, pty1, pty2, and pty3 will
make externally-usable pty's.

Take care,

Bill