Subject: Re: A few questions (yes, I've read the FAQs)
To: Jason S. <jhsterne@mindspring.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1997 19:31:25

> I've been happily running NetBSD-mac68k on my old Mac for a couple of
> months now and I have a few questions.  I've checked out the relevant FAQs
> and haven't found answers, so I figured that I won't offend anyone too much
> by putting these on the mailing list.

Thanks for checking first! :-)

> 1)	I'd like to fool around with programming this thing (although I am
> most certainly not a professional programmer) and I've alway felt that
> porting old video games to a machine is a good way to get an understanding
> of how it works.  So I fooled around with curses for a while, but it's
> really slow on my 25MHz '030 box; I'd really like to be able to work with
> /dev/grf0.
>
> Question:  Any docs on this available?  Where?

Unfortunately the only answer is UTS,L (Use The Source, Luke). I'm kinda
bummed about the number of things which aren't documented. I'd like
to know more about programming ISA cards, but that's only documented
in the source AFAIK.

Though for /dev/grf0 you are in luck (a bit). There are two programs
which use it: dt and the xserver. You can look at them to see what's
going on. I'd bet dt is a good thing to look at first as it's kinda
simple.

Good luck!

Take care,

Bill