Subject: Re: ppp struggles! please help!
To: Jason S. <jhsterne@mindspring.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1997 20:25:49
>The ppp scripts I had dl'd assumed that the ppp server would print
>"CONNECT" upon connect and wait for a CR (the chatscript included ' CONNECT
>""').  But the MS ppp server didn't do this - it just proceeded to the
>login prompt.  pppd (or chat - whatever) apparently sat around and waited
>for "CONNECT", which never happened.  When I removed this line from the ppp
>chatscript, everything worked perfectly.

Good point, but are you sure about the source of the "CONNECT" message?
On my setup it comes from my local modem on a connection, not from my
ISP, and it's dependent upon the modem INIT string I've used.  I could
choose to have my modem respond with numeric codes instead of text
strings, and this would have to be expected in my CHAT script.

>Advice:  login to your ppp server with a terminal window in OT (or MacPPP
>or whatever) and see what happens.  Compare this to your chatscript.

Also, logging in with something like Zterm and saving the output works.

-bob