Subject: Re: Kernel compiling
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1997 20:21:19
> Shutdown and reboot are two of the things that seem to randomly break
> under NetBSD from time to time.  Simply building a more recent kernel may
> fix the problem...then again, it might not...

Well, I wouldn't say "random". This is likely the same thing that's causing
strange SCSI and NuBus problems with my intvid kernels. It seems these
things come and go based on the size of the compiled kernel.

I remember Scott mentioning that he thought it was a bug in the memory pmap
stuff. I'm hoping he can fix it before I'm ready to release. ;-)

Even if the exact problem can't be found I'd love to know what the "magic"
multiple for the kernel sizes are. I could make a simple program that pads
the kernel. That is a very bad approach to the problem but if it makes
debugging kernels any easier... :)