Subject: Re: NetATalk NetBSD
To: William R. Dickson <wrd@awenet.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1997 16:33:35

> On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>
> > >netatalk was recently incorporated into the NetBSD-current sources.  I'm
> > >not sure if all the bits have been committed, however.  Christos?
> >
> > All the kernel bits have been committed. There was some disagreement about
> > what to do with the user portion. The user portion needs some minor patching
> > to work. I've sent my patches to Bill.
>
> Do these patches address the performance problems when writing to the
> netatalk appleshare server?  I was experiencing good read speeds, but
> writing was at about 90k/minute...

No. As far as I can tell, the problems are with netatalk itself. Our
kernel code is pretty much the same as the FreeBSD code, and they've
been using Netatalk for over six months. Thus if the speed bug were
in the kernel, we'd have seen the fix by now.

I've tried off and on for a while to find out what's up. I've not
succeded. Also, netatalk is trying to get out of beta Real Soon Now. I'm
hoping that the needed fixes are in there. The umich folks aren't
responding to email much at the moment, and the netatalk list they have is
moderated.

Christos found two naughty bugs which had been lingering in the netatalk
code. I'll try to get patches up soon.

Take care,

Bill