Subject: Re: Kernel compiling
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1997 13:24:13
Funny how this works - it seems that just when evreyone starts having this
problem, mine disappears;  then, when evryone else gets fixed, my shutdown
problem returns!  :)

But Colin's answer is preety much on the mark.  Building a newer (or
older) kernel often fixes this problem, simply by moving something around
in low memory.  No one has yet figured out what the key "something" is,
though.

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> >    I'm about ready to compile a GENERIC kernel for an SE/30, with the
> >    Netatalk patches.  I'm running GENERIC-78 now and have noticed that
> >    it doesn't restart after "shutdown -rf now" like my system at home.
> >    I think the home box is one of the SBC kernels, but is there some
> >    option I'll need to define to make sure that I can reboot this box
> >    remotely??
>
> Shutdown and reboot are two of the things that seem to randomly break
> under NetBSD from time to time.  Simply building a more recent kernel may
> fix the problem...then again, it might not...
>
> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                      ender@is.rice.edu
> Consultant                                        Rice University
> Information Technology Services                       Houston, TX

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |