Subject: Re: Daynaport
To: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Ken and Masami Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1997 09:36:57
On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 11:31:46 -0400,
Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com> wrote:
> > Besides this reason, there's another reason for xiamin *not* to buy
> > the DaynaPORT E/II: it's SONIC based, just like the internal ethenet ;-)
>
> The SONIC is a much "better" chip than the 8390-series.  We should get
> better performance with less overhead on SONIC cards.  However, the
> SONIC driver is much newer and not as robust as the 8390 driver is right
> now.  However, getting it running on a new nubus card (actually, the
> DaynaPORT E/II may be what Denny has--I don't recall) should not be very
> difficult at all.

My words didn't come out exactly as I meant...  I presumed that xiamin
was trying to get something that worked right now, since I remembered
his Mac had an internal ethernet.

I won't argue that the SONIC is much better than the NIC :-) If it
weren't, there would be no point in developing and selling it,
wouldn't there?  Besides, I'm sick and tired of getting "ring overrun"
on my NIC-based EtherPORT...

Ken