Subject: Re: Zip Drive
To: Ted <lostinncal@earthlink.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/1997 18:58:34
On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Ted wrote:

> I added a Zip Drive to my SCSI chain.  And, now it won't boot into NetBsd.
> I'm not breaking any SCSI chain rules that I know of of. When I boot, or
> try the installer. I get the message
>
> Error on SCSI read # 5

I'd like us to consider officially renaming this either "irrelevant error
of the month" or possibly just "Trivial Error", because it happens to
often and is so trivial.  Error #5 is a scsi phase error, and the software
simply tries to read the block again (if I understand correctly, this is
basically when the drive isn't ready to send the data requested).  It's
not a fatal error, by any means.  Assuming that NetBSD doesn't crash
within the booter itself (which is rather unlikely, but still possible),
chances are, your Zip drive has a lower SCSI ID # than your NetBSD drive,
so since NetBSD identifies a drive by taking the first drive (ID 0) as 0,
the second drive (which could be ID 3 or ID 5 or whatever) as 1, etc.
until it reaches ID 7 (the computer itself), basically your drive may
appear at a different device number.

'Course if it's crashing in the booter, then something else weird is
happening, like a termination problem.  If the zip drive has
auto-termination, turn it off, and terminate manually.

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |