Subject: Re: A ppp problem solved and another problem found
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Jon Lefman <jlefman@bu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/1997 16:43:33
>Since you're using a modem, don't use clocal. Though why are you setting
>the configuration in an stty line? Since pppd can (and will) set up the
>serial line, let it.

The reason I had an stty line in the script was because I thought it was
necessary because it was in the sample script.  I was thinking it was
ppp-in-a-box.  I didn't know that pppd took care of everything on the
serial port.  Why was there an stty line in the sample script?  Also, in
ppp-up, what's the umask 077 line supposed to do?

>Do you have crtscts in your options file for ppp? If crtscts is in
>force when ppp is running, the serial drivers will respect the flow
>control lines. But ppp modifies the serial port settings as it goes
>along, so just because you have it in the stty before you start doesn't
>mean it's being used.

No, I have it in my options file.  Double-checked that many times.  I still
can't pppd to stop sending when the FC light goes low.

>OPTIONS FILES
>       Options can be taken from files as  well  as  the  command
>       line.   pppd reads options from the files /etc/ppp/options
>       and ~/.ppprc before  looking  at  the  command  line.

Sorry about that.  I didn't read closely enough.

Thanks for the help,

Jon